klokke? Det er ti over ti

Right know it´s 10:10 at night, or "ti over ti", as you prefer...



I have a few days memorizing the way to say the time in norwegian. I repeat the time in norsk every time I put my eyes in my watch. Right now I´m very proud that I can tell the hour in norsk when speaking to someone (the pronunciation is very very easy and kind of catchy, but right now I don´t have any audio to show you)

The only really bad thing is to see the face of every person that hear me saying, for example: "kvart over halv fire", but well, i have to learn to live with that meanwhile i´m here in this side of the world :)

It really becomes very easy to do when you remember to do it constantly. Basically, you have to follow this process to whatever hour you like to say:

01:00 - klokken et
01:05 - fem over et
01:10 - ti over et
01:15 - kvart over et
01:20 - ti på halv to
01:25 - fem på halv to
01:30 - halv to
01:35 - fem over halv to
01:40 - ti over halv to
01:45 - kvart på to
01:50 - ti på to
01:55 - fem på to
02:00 - klokken to

A last thing: Yes... "halv to" refers to 1:30, it´s weird to tell the time this way but that´s the way it is... In fact, "halv anything" refers to the earlier half hour always.

Comments

Liesi said…
Hi!

That's amazing. I like your blog. In fact, the time is not that funny for me as it is for you. In German, we also say halb 2 = halv to = half past one = 1:30 - so for me it's easiert than English ;-) - go on learning, it's hard but worth it. It's a great feeling, when you recognise a word in a conversation of Norwegian people!

Lykke til og ha det bra! Hilsen, Liesi
Adrianifero said…
Hey! thanks for visiting. You are the first one that leaves me a comment :) The real thing it´s having people to practice. Here nobody knows that language!!

(Jeg er leser din blog, men jeg snakker ikke tysk :S)
Anonymous said…
Thank you for this list. Learning the time is confusing, so I appreciate the reference!

Popular posts from this blog

Oh yeah... Norwegian for Beginners

Start asking